Black Talons 05 Forum Index Black Talons 05
Discussion forum and records repository for the Black Talons 05 RPG!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Helios Transit Station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Helios Transit Station Reply with quote

Quote:
[19:21:41] <Jester> OK, assuming a zero-atmosphere environment, that means space suits, pressure suits, or BDUs, right?
[19:21:56] <Jester> ie, Medium or Heavy armor won't work.
[19:22:01] <Savant> those would be appropriate choices.
[19:22:18] <Savant> you can get suits of heavier armour, but you currently don't have any
[19:22:43] <Savant> the CEF has a space-capable version of Heavy armour. Terranova likely has similar. But it's not on your current equipment list.
[19:23:42] <Jester> ::nods:: OK. You mentioned the other day something about electroadhesive feet for Gears. Does the same thing apply to the space suits?
[19:25:32] <Savant> let me double check, but i don't believe so.
[19:27:59] <Savant> nope. Just Gears. I guess that'll leave Drones out as well. Only large vehicles can use them.
[19:28:24] <Jester> OK, so how do we get around? We don't have MMUs.
[19:28:47] <Farrell> ::Tarzan yell::
[19:28:57] <Farrell> ::shoots grapple::
[19:28:59] <Savant> you can get MMUs easily enough. I suggest you take some ^_^
[19:29:39] <Farrell> I'm sure Joanna packed enough in her space for the entire team. I can't think of anything to put in it anyways
[19:30:39] <Jester> It raises a number of problems. The standard MMU's got a Top Speed of 6 MPs and 60 BPs.
[19:31:05] <Jester> Basically makes this a vehicle fight instead of a dismounted fight.
[19:31:42] <Savant> eh, i don't see it that way. The MMUs don't protect the pilot after all. Just dictate movement.
[19:32:41] <Jester> So what skill do we use to defend?
[19:33:10] <Jester> Space/Pilot? Defense capped by Zero-G? If we're floating along, does that give us a stationary penalty or the walking penalty?
[19:33:33] * McC is glad he'll be in his Gear.
[19:33:51] <Jester> ::nods:: I'm starting to think we put everyone in Gears until we know what we're dealing with in there.
[19:33:58] <Jester> But that'll slow things WAY down.
[19:34:19] <Savant> defense capped by zero gee, or ploting - both are possible, and depend on how you do it. If you're trying to keep close to physical objects, you can push off of them to defend with the defense skill. If you're just floating, space piloting
[19:35:09] <Jester> Ugh. That settles that. Everyone is gonna start in Gears tomorrow. We'll have to prepare two equipment packages and have them both ready based on the conditions we find inside.
[19:35:13] <Savant> part of me is considering just having this take place in the non-microgravity area on board, just for ease's sake ^_-
[19:35:58] <Jester> I don't mind one versus the other. It's the not knowing that's causing problems.
[19:36:06] * Savant nods
[19:36:09] <Savant> it'll be zero-gee
[19:36:22] <Savant> more questions?
[19:36:48] <Jester> Yeah, that I know. It's the atmosphere thing that's causing most of the problems. Without atmosphere, we're in space suits, which means even a minor hit will put people out of the fight. Also eliminates most of our defense skills and virtually all of our weapons.
[19:37:11] <Savant> fighting in space sucks
[19:37:36] <McC> Eh...it's pressurized, though.
[19:37:40] <McC> The only thing is about getting around.
[19:37:43] <Jester> Maybe. Maybe not.
[19:37:51] <Jester> We don't know if it's pressurized or not.
[19:37:53] <McC> Which, to me, seems like it ought to be easier, if you're near a wall. Wink
[19:37:54] <McC> Oh.
[19:38:19] <Jester> Which kind of drives my inclination toward "well, if it was pressurized, it's not now." ie, a couple of SDGs strapped to the inner airlock door.
[19:38:25] <McC> I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
[19:38:30] <Savant> it's likely they'll void their atmosphere to avoid any explosive decompressions
[19:38:39] <Savant> that's standard on any ship
[19:38:40] <Jester> ::grins:: I'd do that, but we need to get to the computer.
[19:38:46] <McC> Oh, right. Damn.
[19:38:55] <McC> I say we take off and hack the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Wink
[19:39:08] <Jester> ::smirks::
[19:39:53] <Jester> If you need to go to dinner, Savant, go ahead and go. I gotta think about this some more. But you can assume we're starting the whole team in Gears, and we're gonna prepare two equipment packs, one in case of a pressurized, lightly defended station, and one in case of a non-pressurized, heavily defended station.
[19:40:16] <Savant> not right now. Waiting for Dave to get here ^_-
[19:40:21] <Savant> i have about an hour to wait
[19:40:28] <Jester> Ah, k.
[19:40:40] * Savant nods; that was my original thought on it actually.
[19:41:12] <Jester> Either way, the only guns involved will be gyrocs, tasers, and maybe a few ripper staffs and grenades depending on people's inclinations.
[19:41:22] <Jester> Do grenade launchers generate recoil?
[19:41:59] <Savant> you can get a recoilless one

So, to summarize: we'll all be starting in Gears. Once we dismount, though, we have to count on a zero-G, zero-atmosphere environment. That means space suits and recoilless weapons, and no armor. There's no such thing as an automatic recoilless weapon, either. Wink There is however, such a thing as a recoilless grenade launcher.

Your basic space suit has effective +20 armor, which means any hit doing more than 20 damage will need to be patched, even if it doesn't do a light wound. As you'll see in the chat above, there's no magnetic boots, which means getting around will mean MMUs. That means, effectively, that you'll be using space movement system to "fly" the suit around the station.

If you stay close to the walls, you can use your Defense skill, at an upper limit of your Zero-G skill. If you move away from the walls, you use Pilot/Space skill. I think only Gabriel is good enough with that skill to be effective.

Savant has given everyone permission to spend up to 6 points (2 points/week) on the zero-G skill. Everyone raise your zero-G skill to at least 2c1.

Final bad news, the MMUs have a Top Speed of 6 MPs, and have 60 BPs. Not a lot of fuel to get around the station...

Once we get inside, we may find other ways of getting around. Questions? Thoughts?
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preliminary plan:

Arrow The following people will start in Gears: Nik, Thierry, Craig, Joanna. Their normal MACs will be replaced with CAWS rifles (combo HAC/FGC, which is a Gear-sized shotgun combined with a low ammo heavy autocannon). Two Gears will be given SDGs and will carry with which to blow the outer doors if need be. If Savant rules that APMs cannot be fired at all in zero-G, then JJ's and Wren's APMs will be temporarily replaced with APGLs.

Arrow The following people will start in spacesuits with MMUs: Gabriel, Birkin, Mem, Melissa. They will carry in an equipment pallet while being covered by the four Gears. Mem will attempt to hack the doors. The others will cover him with Gear weapons and gyroc rifles (13mm rifles that fire rocket-propelled bullets).

Arrow I'm undecided where to put Roland. I'll talk that over with Fras later this evening, if he's able to play. If he's not able to play, he starts in Gear.

Arrow The equipment pallet: a drone control panel, one Gargoyle recon drone, one Fire Egg drone (with two SDGs and four Gear HGs), two modified Gargoyles (see below), sufficient grapple guns, gyroc pistols, and gyroc rifles for all nine of us, two grenade launchers, assorted grenades, frame charges, satchel charges, portable mainframe, one extra fuel tank for each MMU, and four or five extra life-support packs.

Arrow The modified Gargoyles will be Gargoyle treads/bases with Wasp sensors/fire control systems/weapons mounted to the top instead of the flat-folding Gargoyle sensor head. One will be armed with an LMG, the other with an APGL. All four drones will be modified with the electro-adhesive for their feet/treads. Craig gets to do that job.

Arrow The general plan is for the Gears to establish a beach-head using fire from their FGCs and anti-personnel weapons. The four in MMUs then come in and set up the drone control panel for Melissa. Melissa hangs back (probably with whomever can't show up tonight to guard her) while everyone else clears the main hallway. We'll use the unmodified Gargoyle to scout the initial areas where the Gear can't go, and if need be, use the Fire Egg to place an SDG, HG, or the like.

Arrow Once the beach-head is established, all but two Gear pilots will dismount under cover from the two modified Gargoyles while the four in MMUs press the initial attack. The two remaining Gear pilots, meanwhile, reload their FGCs from the Gears we're leaving them to guard.

Arrow Those in space-suits/MMUs will have +20 armor. Those who start in Gear will have Talon BDUs and therefore +10 armor, +1 Stealth (if we start shooting out lights, which we very well might).

Arrow The mission is to take the computer center and hold it long enough to download the mission data into the portable mainframe. Again, Mem gets that job. Everyone else gets to cover him, and hold our escape route open. If we're getting overwhelmed, the two Gears are our fall-back position.

Arrow Bonus objective: capture any CEF military hardware that falls into our hands. In particular, armored space-suits and whatever weapons the CEF uses against us will be particularly valuable. Still, don't risk your lives. If we encounter heavy opposition, Birkin and Craig switch to the grenade launchers. This is probably a good place to use a couple of our very few incendiary grenades.

Arrow Remember that those of us that are dismounted can brace against walls or the legs of a Gear and use heavier weapons. For this reason, we'll probably bring along one anti-Gear rifle and one automatic shotgun (loaded with slug ammunition).

Arrow I suspect tasers will be of great value if shot into space-suits. The person inside will probably be unharmed, but imagine the effect on a suit's electrical systems. Gabriel's certainly gonna carry his and will probably try it out at least once, though I'm gonna ask Savant about probable effects first. For that reason, be particularly vigilant about enemies with tasers. They get first priority.

Arrow Don't get dead.

Comments, questions?
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few other notes:

Arrow Gyroc weapons are goofy little guns intended for space-only combat. They eject a heavy bullet using a compressed air charge so there's little or no recoil. Once the bullet is about 5 meters away, a rocket in the bullet ignites and the bullet speeds to its target. As a result, gyrocs can't be used in gravity. At short range, the bullet is still accelerating, and so does a lower amount of damage. At medium, long, and extreme ranges, it does normal damage.

Arrow If you take 20 points of damage while wearing a space suit, or 10 points of damage while wearing Talon BDUs, even if that doesn't do a light, it does break the integrity of the suit. I don't know if our suits reseal automatically. If they don't, you'll have to stop and take an action to patch the rip. We have patch kits for this purpose.

Arrow Remember, we're not gonna have a lot of ROF weapons. For that reason, I might give a couple of Gears hand-held LMGs instead of the CAWS rifles, or we might give both modified Gargoyles LMGs. Still thinking about that.
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More:

Arrow Roland will be in Gear tonight, LMG (400 rounds) in one paw, MFL (120 rounds) in the other. Leave the bazooka in Pathfinder. Forgot about this and gave him a CAWS rifle.

Arrow Add the Hakkar LLC to the equipment pallet (in case Roland has to shoot something heavier than his light weapons can manage).

Last edited by Jester on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Jester

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More:

Arrow Add a remote ECM pod to the equipment pallet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: