Black Talons 05 Forum Index Black Talons 05
Discussion forum and records repository for the Black Talons 05 RPG!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space missions for a season or two

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Space missions for a season or two Reply with quote

Here's Gabriel's general outline of a plan after talking with the Liberati:

Strategic goals:
Arrow Raise the price of water. (That helps the Liberati and hurts the CEF. It will also probably cause unrest on Caprice itself.)
Arrow Cause the CEF fleets (3rd and 8th) to defend their holdings (which they're generally bad at) instead of being in an aggressive posture (which they're very good at).
Arrow Cause the CEF fleets to spread out sufficiently to create opportunities around a high value target or two.
Arrow Eventually, capture a small CEF ship.

Specific plans for phase one:
Arrow First, we attack but do not destroy a number of corp ice ships. I was thinking nine. Sneak attacks, carried out three at a time with Pathfinder and two Whipsnakes. One heavy missile drone into their engines, followed by dropping a Gear or two on them to place a couple of HHGs and a haywire grenade, plus precision strikes from laser cannons. Leave their life support and communications intact. They'll scream for help.

Arrow If we can find a corp station, hit that too, with the same goal. Disable, but do not destroy. Leave them relatively helpless.

Arrow With any luck at all, the CEF will start sending in rescue ships. For our 10th target, we find an isolated rescue ship (preferably a Sleipnir) and we give it the same treatment. Two heavy missile drones into their engines, chop up their defenses, demand their surrender. Board (whether they surrender or not) and take spacesuits, weapons, food, water, and intel. Leave the crew alive and needing rescue.

Arrow Hit a couple more corp ice ships. Hit (and destroy) an isolated rescuer.

Arrow The tactical goal is to make it clear to the CEF that a "rescue" group must be comprised of a destroyer or better, or their rescue ships face the same fate as the corp ships.

Arrow Eventually, the corps will conclude that either: a) the CEF must guard all their ships and stations, or b) they have to abandon their ice-mining effort and rely on the Liberati.

Arrow Either way, the price of ice goes up, the CEF fleet spreads out, and with any luck, we find a good isolated target to hit as phase two.

Questions? Comments?
Jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additions:

Arrow Whipsnakes kill any observation satellites they see.

Arrow Leave two seekers (with weapons to be decided) next to each of two of the ships to be rescued, programmed to attack any CEF ship, or self destruct at the end of 1946, whichever happens first.
McC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of point defense will these vessels have? Specifically, how much fire will the Gears be required to evade? Wink
Jester

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, the only weapons available will be mining nukes, and those aren't exactly close-quarters weapons. As long as the Gears stick close to the engines of the ice-ships, they should theoretically be fine.
TheBigM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might also have those debris clearing lasers like the last one that we might need to worry about on point defense. However, I'm willing to bet their FC isn't going to be good.
Jester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team one:
Pathfinder
Thierry as CapCom
Craig in Swifty with an HGLC
Detro in JJ with an HLC
Two haywire grenades on each Gear
Two scramblers on each Gear

Team two:
Whipsnake One (Viktor/Birkin) with one missile drone, one HGLC seeker
Roland in Erinyes with an HGLC
Knight in Dash with an HLC

Team three:
Whipsnake Two (Gabriel/Melissa) with one missile drone, one HGLC seeker
Tychon in Nike with an HGLC
Mem in Shepherd with an HLC
Skritches

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking on this for some time now and there are a couple of things I think we are over looking.

First, why are we attacking Corp holdings? As far as I know, the Corps are not military and by attacking them we show ourselves to be little better than the CEF. Why are we not trying to find out more about what the political climate is before we just burn down all our bridges? We are operating in enemy territory with little in the way of allies...I do not want to see us turn potential allies into enemies.

Second, there are two whole fleets here, plus various parts of other fleets here. The CEF has been here for how many years? I think that they have been able to develop and change their military philosophies enough to be able to defend what they have taken. Yes, we are small and can hide out, but that will last for only so long. Also, our combat strength is on the ground, not in space whereas the CEF owns the space.

Going back to the attacking Corp stations and stuff. If we do inflict enough damage upon them to cause them to turn to the CEF and request protection, do you honestly think the CEF is just going to say "sure, we'll help you out"? I do not think the CEF is just going to help them; they are going to look at the corps and likely say, "we will help, but we are going to lock down this entire sector and you'll like it."

There is another cultural aspect that we have completely overlooked...the younger generation, which is coming into the age of majority now, have spent their entire lives under the CEF and exposed to Earth's propaganda for all that time. They'll likely have no love for the Liberati and would fully support any action the CEF took to "defend" them from terrorist threats like the Talons and the Liberati. Now, trying to undo all of that brainwashing is not going to happen easily, if at all, but attacking the corporations (i.e. civilian targets) is going to reinforce their belief that Earth is good and that we are bad...not a good idea.

Basically, all I am saying is that I think we should be focusing on military targets. We want to hurt the CEF and their war effort and I am cool with that. I just do not want to see us committing acts that in the end make us as bad in other people's eyes as we hold the Earthers.
Jester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial layout:
Arrow Viktor and Melissa in Whipsnake One, Skag and octopus loaded. CEF Hunter Killer on remote.

Arrow Gabriel and Birkin in Whipsnake Two, Skag and Seeker/Missile loaded.

Arrow Everyone else in Pathfinder.

Boarding layout:
Arrow In Gear: Tychon, in Nike. Tynes, in Deacon. Thierry, in Wren. BDUs for all three. BILs (in webbing tucked behind one leg) for Tynes and Thierry.

Arrow In space armor: Roland, with a BIL. Birkin, with a grenade launcher and gyroc pistol.

Arrow In spacesuits: Everyone else except Craig and Melissa, with a BIL. Craig, with a grenade launcher and gyroc pistol. Melissa, with a drone control console, a Rabid Gargolye, and an Octopus.

Other weapons and equipment to suit. In addition to the BIL, Gabriel will carry his previous space load-out, here.
Jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skritches wrote:
First, why are we attacking Corp holdings?

We've learned that a number of the corps are collaborators. We just don't know who is who yet. Right now, we're assuming any corp that's transmitting CEF propaganda or heavily supplying the CEF is suspect, but we're trying to research which corps would be more open to Terranovan contact.

When it comes down to eventual negotiating, we can play ignorant about which corps were friendlies, which are neutral, and which are collaborators with a good deal of believability.

In the meantime, attacking corp ice-ships is the best way to either make them rely on the Liberati for their water, or make them scream at the CEF to defend their ice-ships, or both. Either way, we win, because the price of water goes up. That's the strategic goal of this phase, because driving up the price of water helps the Liberati a lot and it causes a certain amount of unrest back on Caprice.

Yes, the CEF will blame us. But people are people, and what people will be subconsciously thinking is "There wasn't ever a water problem before the CEF got here..."

But even blaming us will be hard, because Gabriel wanted CEF octopi and hunter-killers to be visible to the corp-ships, not Gears, and went out of his way to order that these captured vehicles be visible to the corp ice-ships. Why CEF assets were attacking corp ice-ships is gonna be freakin' hard for CEF propagandists to explain. Wink Either they try to explain away the CEF vehicles attacking corp ice-ships (probably not successfully), or even worse, they admit some of their unstoppable military creations have been captured (which, even if it's believed, will make them look weak).

Skritches wrote:
I think that they have been able to develop and change their military philosophies enough to be able to defend what they have taken.

If we've learned anything, it's that the CEF is awesome on offense, and only sorta OK on defense. Right now, their space assets are on offense. We absolutely must take the initiative away from them, or they're gonna go on offense right into the Helios system.

The second strategic goal here is to make CEF space assets spread and thin out across the Loki system.

Skritches wrote:
If we do inflict enough damage upon them to cause them to turn to the CEF and request protection, do you honestly think the CEF is just going to say "sure, we'll help you out"? I do not think the CEF is just going to help them; they are going to look at the corps and likely say, "we will help, but we are going to lock down this entire sector and you'll like it."

Good. Smile Exactly what we want, the CEF hurting the corps. Every time they lock down commerce or fix a price on a commodity, the corps are gonna turn that much more against them.

Skritches wrote:
There is another cultural aspect that we have completely overlooked...the younger generation, which is coming into the age of majority now, have spent their entire lives under the CEF and exposed to Earth's propaganda for all that time.

This is a interesting point, but Caprice has only been in the grip of the CEF for 30 cycles, or about 18 years. We'll have to investigate how much of this is going on when we get on the ground.

Skritches wrote:
Basically, all I am saying is that I think we should be focusing on military targets.

Trust me, I agree. As you saw this week, this strategic maneuvering gave us a tactical position to smash a couple of CEF military assets. But we can't take them on directly. We have to do it sneaky-like. When we get them spread out more, phase two of this plan is to start hitting (hopefully lightly-defended) CEF rally points and bases.

Right now, ironically, we're Sunni insurgents in Iraq. We're actually worse off, because most insurgent attacks are aimed at the will of the invading country, and there's nothing we can do against the Earther's will. We don't have a prayer against the Earth military forces directly, so we have to exploit their tactical weaknesses, spread them out, and then hit them where they're thin. In the meantime, though, we have to try to get them to use their strengths where their strengths will do them some harm and us some good. The best possible thing that could happen for us in phase one would be for some Mordreds to put down a water riot in Gomorrah. Would a lot of Capricians be hurt? Unfortunately, yes. But it would turn thousands or tens of thousands of Capricians against or further against the CEF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: