Black Talons 05 Forum Index Black Talons 05
Discussion forum and records repository for the Black Talons 05 RPG!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expees
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What option do you prefer?
Remake with lower points
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Cap Attributes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Change Mechanics
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Bigger Bad Guys
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Leave It Alone
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

JackCraig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really know what to say on the subject, i'm really interested in where the story is going right now so XP isn't on my mind as much, though to be honest Craig probably wasn't a near super human compared to others on the team, he had no +3 attributes which i was intentionally trying to avoid, and was only on the doorstep of having 2 skills at level 4, he had 642 points as well which i tried to spread out across skills he used in game.

as far as XP is concerned, i seem to agree that if we had to remake our character after with our XP being cut to say 450-500, we'll probably notice a difference in how some of our characters perform in game and colin would likely have to rebuild the story to accomodate a suddenly lack or being able to gather info or stay alive in combat and thats probably as much a pain in the ass as coming up with a challenge for us to deal with.

for the veterans of the game, we could probably deal with an XP freeze while the others catch up, maybe put a cap on the amount of XP we can have total. but i don't think saying "ok guys you need to shave 250 points from your characters" will fly very far. if by chance we do into a battle and the majority of our team is killed, maybe then we can opt to start the game fresh with everyone making new characters with say 200-300 points
Farrell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm working on a rough "Life Path" system for Heavy Gear and came across an idea: What if your maximum attribute was based on where your character is from?

For example, Tynes is from the NLC. Being an ardent supporter of the church, it would make sense for him to possess a high PSY ("We WILL convert the heathens!") and/or a high WIL ("We WILL fight to the last man!") Mem could have a high CRE (coming from a league with a very diverse and high-tech industrial base) or KNO (having been around the high-tech stuff and having grown up having to know it better.)

Likewise, as Ross suggested online, there could also be a deficiency stat or two. Mem's FIT could be capped off at a lower value since the machines do all his work, or Tynes' PER could be lower as he "takes things in faith for granted" rather than examine things closely.

Thoughts?
Jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense the d10 idea makes to me. I think it would introduce all sorts of unwanted, unintended side effects. "What happens when the Morgana rolls an 8+mods and I roll a 2+mods despite using several ED?" is only one of them. Another is threshold escalation. D&D has this problem bad, where the threshold required to hit everything is 15 or 20, rolled on a d20 with a couple of modifiers. Most of the time, you're not gonna hit the threshold. It puts too much of the game in the hands of luck.

Similarly, I think a complete moratorium on high attributes would also introduce some serious problems. Again using a fight with Morganas as a baseline, if the highest roll a character can hope for is an 8 or a 9, a single Morgana would take five or more rounds to kill because the absolute best the players could hope for when attacking her would be MOS 2 or maybe MOS 3. That means a long series of flesh wounds eventually leading to a SS kill.

How about this idea:
Arrow Except for one (or maybe two) focus attributes per character, the maximum attribute bonus is +1;
Arrow For the focus attributes, the maximum bonus is +2;
Arrow All other attribute bonuses add to dice.

Roland (AGI +3) picks AGI as his focus attribute, so in all dice rolls using AGI, he gets one extra die and a +2 bonus. Gabriel (INF +2, AGI +2) picks INF as his focus attribute, so in all dice rolls using INF, he gets to keep his +2 bonus (but no extra die). When Gabriel uses AGI, he gets a +1 bonus and one extra die.
Lykaeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the system isn't the answer, your just creating other problems later on, ones that we might not notice until then. Thats why it takes so long to balance a system in the first plce.

If we aren't going to do a redo, we should just ramp up the competition. Hell put a GREL in every Frame or Tank, let the CEF meet BT05 with extreme predjudice. Have CID officials running every checkpoint, let them try and catch us outside of our gears more often.

As for the GREL issue, I firmly believe that GRELs are suppose to be hard to kill, Taking one down with a pistol is an act of God (or Ardel). Flesh wounding them to death is how they work. I thought the whole concept of a Mordred was that they could fight with one arm, a broken leg and fractured hip. Yet, our team cores them with a holdout pistol (a big one, but a short barrelled pistol nonetheless).
JackCraig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you missed out on the game where we got ambushed at the hospital by i think morganas in exosuits, it took a combined effort by craig and tynes to down one with SMGs and an R23 rifle and several rounds at that, plus we both took injuries too, it was like "why :shot: wont' :shot: she :shot: die!?"
Jester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Morganas in heavy armor. STA 50 + 40 armor, versus our x23 weapons. In other words, we needed MOS 3 to get a flesh wound.
Lykaeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats IS pretty disgusting...I still don't think manipulating the system is an option. The xp tax does make the most sense to me, but I think that a lot of the high end players wouldn't like it.

It would equalize us, but I don't want to make the game less fun for the "pros". If you guys only earn like 2 xps per game, it would seem unfair.
Skritches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester said:
Quote:

First and foremost, let's deal with the basic realities of the situation: scope-wise, the situation that we're dealing with is realistic. This isn't a fantasy RPG or a LOT5R game or Magic: The Gathering where every player needs to be balanced. In a military organization, you have higher skilled personnel with higher ranks and 15 or 20 years experience, and you have buck privates who can mostly be counted on to point their weapons in the right direction. As several people brought up, the people with lots of points in the game (myself, Fraser, Farrell, Brad, Prescot, and Scotty) have been playing for years. I'm not sure it's fair to punish us for that.

That might be realistic in the real world, but the problem is, this is a game and having played in several games where the GM didn't try to find a way to balance old players with new players is a bad experience for the new players. It is rather frustrating to not be able to provide something (be it a skill or ability) to the team cause the older guys can do everything as good or if not better than the new player. Also, when combat breaks out, if it is a situation that is going to challenge the old guard, the new players are going to be the ones who get slaughtered.
Also, on a 'realistic' note, some of the old guard in BT05 would no longer be in the field as Command would be loathe to lose all of that experience, yet Colin hasn't forced retired any characters. Just pointing that out Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: