Black Talons 05 Forum Index Black Talons 05
Discussion forum and records repository for the Black Talons 05 RPG!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Gears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Equipment & Gears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lykaeon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Dark Gears Reply with quote

First

Can a Dark Gear be modified to be:

Arrow HEP: Extreme Heat
Arrow Fire Resistant

Or would that interfere with the stealth systems?

Second

Do we work with the standardized Dark Gear chassis/loadouts or do you guys turn normal gears "into" Dark Gears?
Farrell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Gears come with HEP:All, which I presume includes Extreme Heat.

For the most part, we try to stick to heavily modified stock Dark Gears, moreso to the same Gear types as others. This keeps our spare parts needs down. We have also had stock-to-dark modifications as well.

In both cases, there is a limit to the TV for the gear's "default" configuration. We've probably violated that a few times with modifications in the field though.
Jester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weird as it sounds, there isn't a whole lot to converting normal Gears into Dark Gears. There's really only five differences between a standard Gear and a Dark Gear:

Arrow Stealth
Arrow Reinforced Crew Compartment
Arrow Reinforced Movement
Arrow Limited Life Support
Arrow HEP: All

The first one is mostly about replacing all of the armor panels with radar-absorbing composites and in the process, changing the silhouette of the Gear itself. There are also active stealth systems that intercept and nullify EM energy sent toward the Gear to detect it. In most cases (the Dark Mamba most particularly), these modifications have already been done by the polar leagues and it's just a matter of appropriating the technology to do it.

The middle three go hand-in-hand with making a Gear a capable platform in vacuum and other hostile environments. HEP: All makes a Gear capable in both space (very low pressure) and underwater (very high pressure). It also includes HEP: Extreme Heat and HEP: Extreme Cold. That really means that the middle three perks in the list above are more side-effects of giving a Gear HEP: All than they are perks in and of themselves. The first thing you have to do to build a Dark Gear is pull out the standard Gear cockpit and replace it with one with internal life support for the pilot. That means pressure seals and structural reinforcements to handle high and low pressure and temperature environments. It's these reinforcements that add Reinforced Crew Compartment. Sealing the cockpit against pressure and temperature variances requires you to include Limited Life Support.

Ditto for the movement systems. All of the hydraulic seals, pipes, and fittings have to be replaced with high-stress versions. The engine has to be made able to seal against both high-pressure and low-pressure environments, be able to function at both 200C and -200C and superconducting batteries have to be included so that the Gear can function outside of atmosphere. The very fact that you're doing all this adds Reinforced Movement.

Including all this extra weight means you have to greatly increase engine and hydraulic power across the board for all Dark Gears, which means that an additional weapon here or there is actually a very minor increase in Gear mass.

Don't get me wrong: doing all this is a huge amount of work and requires tremendous technical expertise. But there are no theoretical hurdles for Terranovans to jump through to do all this, which is why Dark Gears appeared so quickly after they were needed.

As for Fire Resistant, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add, but there wouldn't be a lot of benefit to it. We haven't seen a CEF vehicle yet that uses any kind of incendiary or flame weapons. But whether it's legal to add would mostly be up to Savant.
Lykaeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked is that I like carrying the Light/Medium Flamethrowers for troop killing as opposed to HMG/LMG. It was a thought if I ever got my hands on a bigger gear.

The cool thing about the MFL is that its still a x7 weapon but very small (I think size 3 or 4). Which means that even though it has no range it can still hurt gear/light vehicles while maintaining a decent ROF and taking up very little space.

I know that the moment I use a MFL I would negate my stealth, but roasting GREL is sometimes worth it. It was just a thought for "city" work. My mount has an MFL, but none of those perks, so there is a distinct chance I could hurt myself when shooting it (the base range is 0).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Equipment & Gears All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: