Black Talons 05 Forum Index Black Talons 05
Discussion forum and records repository for the Black Talons 05 RPG!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paladin Lots and the CEF Crackdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farrell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Paladin Lots and the CEF Crackdown Reply with quote

First off, check the wiki pages for Arclight and Paladin Lots. Both have been updated.

As pointed out by Ross in channel, this pretty much spells the end of any kind of direct attack on Paladin Lots. On the ground, it is far too isolated and has enough fast-reaction forces to take out any major offensive. In the air, they clearly have sufficient defenses, let alone TAAFs on call that can be here in minutes from the platforms. Short of nukes and orbital bombardment, which kills everyone ELSE, there's no dealing with the lots at this point. It might as well be a certain bunker in Berlin.

That leaves us with the second teaser. While it's OOC knowledge, it's pretty obvious what this could involve:

Arrow Curtailing the CorpSerfs, by disbanding them, nationalizing them, or just curtailing their weapons or operations. Bound to piss them off a bit, and a bunch of pissed off trained warriors are a powerful weapon if aimed and fired at the right time.

Arrow Nationalizing key industries. I can't really see how the corps are going to avoid this one, because it's pretty clear Rasuul's calling the shots now, and she's no longer pandering to anyone. I suspect anything making military equipment is going first, followed by mining and support (food, recycling, power, etc.) I might even go so far as to say she might disband the effective leading council of Caprice. The good news is that this should cause enough of a stir to push people towards our cause, but also eliminates potential aid from the corporates themselves.

Arrow Crackdown on the lower levels. She's gotta suspect this is where we're operating from while in the trench. Think Robocop 3, cleaning up "Old Detroit" -- just without the corporate slant. That could mean the gangs might turn coat, expecting lenient treatment or to avoid certain death. The upside is that it could push the gangs more firmly to our side, to fight the bastards trying to get rid of them vs. those who are indifferent.

Arrow Martial Law. Doubtful, but very much going to push people into our camp if we play our cards right.

Arrow Order of "Death to Liberati" or something to that effect. Bad timing in that they're still building up to handle the CEF on the ground. The spacers could be in a far worse spot. This is going to make things nasty in terms of the more violent Liberati -- if we try to stop Blia, we may wind up having to stop them too, especially if they're linked up and working together.

Arrow Unlikely, but I'm wondering if there could be another purge like that the fleet returning from TN went through. That'd work out great for us, not only since it spreads the CID/CEF thinner, but also could remove key experienced officers from positions, and maybe even drum up a good bit of resentment within the CEF. (*could*.)

Arrow One of my favorite comparrisons to a situation like this is someone going out to collect firewood... and they decide they can carry one more log, and keep stacking up. Sooner or later, that kind of behavior makes you drop all of the wood. The more they try to clean up and the more places they try to be, the less they'll be able to defend. With their forces and attention diluted, it presents opportunities for us to strike with concentrated force.

Thoughts?
Lykaeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your analogy is correct, but the problem might be more complex...Gomorrans don't want war...unless it pays well. Dissolving the council would have massive reprecussions for the CEF on Caprice, but I don't think they are at that stage yet and as for the Corp Serfs, I don't think they'll disband them either.

They are the greatest assest CEF has on Caprice right now, they may be troublesome, but they are also a massive boon to them. The CEF don't know Gomorrah or Caprice as well as we do (Corp Serfs). At the very worst I suspect they might purge the ranks and maybe try to incorporate the rest into a new form of police force.

The problem is that if they fire all those cops they'll completely destabalize the justice system and although it would leave the Corporations defenseless it would be viewed as a DIRECT attack against the Corporations since Corp Serfs are essentially glorified security guards that work for the company in question. Some like MFSD (who I work for) are tasks with guarding a whole area, but thats because the majority of the assets and personnel there probably belong to a Company who hired us or our own parent corporation.

You have to understand that Gomorrah is the epitome of "Hands Off" politics. The government isn't just run by corporations its governed by the strongest Corporations. Some like Hakkar have dominated it for over a generation. They make decisions based on the idea that government should have minimal to no ruling in Corporate affairs, they're job is to ensure the health and control of the populace. Its more a meeting ground for the Corporations to decide on and make decisions on how to react to situations and/or Corp affairs, while maintaining a healthy standard of living for the working populace. Having the CEF monitor and make decisions through the Council is viewed as barely tolerable. Having them take over completely would most likely be a disaster as the Corporations may openly rebel against the tight fisted Keff bastards.

A lot of the Corporations view the CEF Corporations and the CID as a cancer or virus (at least how I interpret the book) trying to worm its way into Caprice. Employees that work for earth corporations or affiliates are usually seperated from the rest of Gomorran society, because they are treated sub standard and even threatened.

Caprice might not be conflict oriented, but its production capabilities are scary to say the least. Unfortunately most of those facilities are located in Gomorrah or the outskirts which is what made the occupation of Caprice so easy.

Whomever holds (and secures against attack) Gomorrah literally holds Caprice. The CEF have struggled with this because the Corporate nature of Caprice denies them the ability to just openly annex facilities and gear them for war. They must pay or trade their way in. I suspect that when Terranova enters the fray in force, a lot of Corporations will rally behind them and if they succeed in retaking Gomorrah, the Corps would be able to muster and provide a massive amount of industrial and economic support.
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reply, Lykaeon is almost spot on, but not exactly right - or more appropriately, in need of clarification.

- There are no non-corporate politics on Caprice. The Caprician Assembly is the Parliament of the planet, but the members belong to blocks representing corporate affiliations and this Assembly generally only passes civic laws which must then be ratified by the CCE. The Caprician Corporate Executive is the executive branch of "government" and is quite literally nothing more than a meeting of the 12 most powerful companies in the system. All politics is business.

- The schism between earth-loyal (colonial) and traditional factions in Gomorrah is very, very complicated. You haven't really touched upon this schism yet, and it's messy. It's far, far more complex than colonial companies and individuals being outcast.

- The CEF can, and has, captured facilities within Gomorrah. Paladin Lots used to be a massive arcology and transit hub - the old arcology still exists at the core of the Lots. The CEF has no issues at all with nationalizing Caprician assets for their own use. The only thing that's stopped them is the steady hand of the CID telling them not to.
JackCraig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steady hand of the CID? from that teaser of the aftermath of our attack on PL, Krynn Rasuul is about read to kill off every caprician and replace them with more loyal earthers hell, in her mind that would probably aleviate alot of the overcrowding on earth right there
Farrell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
The Caprician Assembly is the Parliament of the planet, but the members belong to blocks representing corporate affiliations and this Assembly generally only passes civic laws which must then be ratified by the CCE. The Caprician Corporate Executive is the executive branch of "government" and is quite literally nothing more than a meeting of the 12 most powerful companies in the system. All politics is business.

And, if the CEF starts seizing corporations, the CEF finds themselves more in control of said politics.

Specifically in mind, I'm thinking the US government taking over the railroads in WWI. Not that it's going to happen. I was just thinking of any possible action Rasuul would take, whether likely or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Talons 05 Forum Index -> Planning / Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: